It’s a widely recognised and accepted practice to visit the dentist at least twice a year for a check-up. But many patients do not follow-up with regular flossing and brushing.
As part of a regular check-up, flossing and brushing are essential aspects of daily dental care to maintain good oral health. Tooth decay and gum disease can develop when plaque is allowed to build up on teeth and along the gum line. Flossing disrupts and removes plaque and food in between teeth where the toothbrush cannot reach.
With a regular routine, brushing and flossing will keep your teeth and general oral health in good shape.
Use the most effective dental floss. There are several varieties available and you can choose the one that best matches your personal preference, including waxed, unwaxed, flavoured and unflavoured.
Floss comes in two basic forms:
- Nylon (multifilament) floss. This floss is made up of many strands of nylon fabric, making this stringy and possible to break apart. Nylon floss comes in waxed and unwaxed.
- PTFE (monofilament) floss is made up of a single strand or thread, and glides in between even the tightest of spaces.
- Tape floss is available if you have wider gaps between your teeth.
- Single-filament floss is slightly more expensive, but it will be able to slide between teeth more easily and will be less likely to shred. Each container of floss lasts a long time, so using non-nylon floss is a worthwhile investment.
If you can’t floss the traditional way, try flossing with:
- Floss holders, small Y-shaped devices that hold floss. For children and those who aren’t coordinated enough to handle traditional floss.
- “Superfloss,” which expands in larger spaces and contracts to fit through smaller spaces. Super floss may be beneficial for people with wide gaps between several of their teeth.
- Floss threaders, which make it easier to work around any dental work that you might have such as braces.
For more information on flossing or other dental hygiene practices, please do not hesitate to contact DentalCareXtra. Alternatively, complete the form below, and one of our friendly team members will contact you