There’s no need to worry about selfies, yearbook photos and prom posing – thanks to Clear Aligners, perfectly straight teeth can be yours, with no visible braces or wires.
Why aren’t my teeth straight?
You might be able to blame your parents for this one – misaligned bites are often inherited traits. Teeth can also become crooked as you progress through adolescence, due to poor oral hygiene and bad habits (biting pens or fingers, excessive use of toothpicks or persistently resting your chin on your hand whilst you’re on your laptop or games console). Teeth may also be lost as a result of accidents, extractions or if your permanent teeth just don’t come down after baby teeth have fallen out, leaving gaps that can be unsightly and cause surrounding teeth to move out of line.
Our dentists recommend correcting misaligned teeth for health reasons, as well as aesthetic ones, because they can also cause a range of problems such as:
- Gum or jawbone disease (periodontal disease)
- Risk to general health
- Excessive tooth wear and trauma
What can I do to prevent my teeth becoming crooked?
If you lost teeth early as a child, or if your mouth is naturally very small, unfortunately you may be pre-disposed towards teeth that aren’t straight. However, there are some preventative steps you can take, and establishing good habits in the following areas can help ensure your teeth stay as straight as possible:
- Don’t sleep on your front – the subtle, repeated pressure of sleeping on your stomach can cause teeth to shift over time
- Be aware of your posture when studying – persistently resting your head in your hands causes uneven pressure on one side of the jaw that can cause your teeth to move
- Correct habits such as biting nails, chewing pens, blowing bubbles with gum; these can all have an accumulated impact on your teeth
- Fix any gaps where teeth are missing – these cause the force of chewing to be redistributed onto the surrounding teeth
- Check your wisdom teeth – Removing them is not always the answer, but our dentists will be able to advise whether removing some or all of your wisdom teeth may help address any overcrowding
What are the options for straightening my teeth?
Clear Aligners are the perfect solution for straightening teeth with minimal cosmetic impact. They successfully correct overly crowded or widely spaced teeth, and can even relieve more complex issues such as overbites, under-bites and cross-bites. Typically, achieving straight teeth with Clear Aligners takes 12-24 months, requiring between 18 and 30 custom-made aligners that are changed every 2-3 weeks to gradually move your teeth and create the perfect smile. You will visit your dentist every six weeks for a check-up, to ask any questions and collect your next set of aligners.
Clear Aligners are a bespoke set of invisible, custom-made and removable teeth trays. Because there are no wires, brackets or bands, nobody need even know you are wearing them; and as they are made of smooth plastic, they won’t irritate your cheeks and gums. Whilst wearing Clear Aligners you can continue to eat your favourite foods, brushing and flossing normally to keep your teeth and gums healthy. You can even remove them for special occasions.
Contact us today to find out how Clear Aligners could give you back your smile, with our Complimentary Consultation.